Shawarma lamb salad.
Last Saturday whilst feeling a little worse for wear I decided to go and visit The Grounds in Alexandria to see what all the fuss was about. It was a bright, sunny day in Sydney and there was a large number of people waiting in the gardens to eat, despite this we were told we would only have a 20-30 minute wait for lunch.
We were given a handy buzzer and told we could explore the gardens or the deli next door. We had a quick look at the chickens and then made our way to Salt Meats Cheese… I won’t elaborate too much except to say that this deli is paradise – aisles of exotic imported foods and little tasters everywhere! On this little trip we picked up some ‘Shawarma’ spices which brings to me dinner tonight.
- 2 lamb back straps
- 3-4 tsp Sami’s Kitchen ‘Shawarma’ spices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves of your choice
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 small cucumbers, sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- Mix together the ‘Shawarma’ spices and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a container and marinate the back straps for at least 2 hours.
- Whilst the lamb is marinating steam the sweet potatoes and once tender set aside.
- Prepare the carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes and lightly toss with the sweet potatoes and mixed salad leaves.
- Make the salad dressing by combining the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic and honey.
- Take the lamb out of the fridge and BBQ on a medium heat until medium-rare (it should be pink in the middle).
- Rest the meat for approximately 5 minutes and then slice.
- Dress the salad and gently place the sliced lamb on top.
Number of servings: 4