Frittatas are a quick and easy weeknight meal. I often make them and serve with a salad which is what I’ve made tonight! They are also a great way to use up any leftover vegetables you may have in the fridge.
I seem to have bought a few too many zucchinis at the Marrickville organic food markets this week so they will be the basis of my frittata along with some chilli and goat cheese. You may start to notice from reading this blog that I use goat cheese regularly in my cooking. Aside from its wonderful sharp and creamy taste I use it because I am lactose intolerant and it is a lot easier for me to digest.
- 2 tbsp chilli oil
- Approximately 1kg zucchini
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3-4 dried red chillies, roughly chopped
- 8 free range eggs
- 100g goat cheese (I used a firm cheese with a rind)
- Preheat grill.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini, half lengthways and slice thinly.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Add the chilli oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the sliced zucchini along with a generous pinch of salt.
- Saute the zucchinis for approximately 4 minutes and then add the chopped chilli and minced garlic.
- Continue to saute until the zucchinis are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Break the 8 eggs in a bowl along with the crumbled goat cheese and plenty of salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Place the zucchini pan back on the heat and pour the egg and cheese mixture over.
- Gently cook until the eggs are about three-quarters set and then place under the grill.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes until the top is golden brown (remember to watch it carefully as it can quickly burn).
I served my salad with a simple carrot salad. I peeled and grated 5 carrots and then placed them in a bowl with 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds and lastly drizzled over olive oil and lemon juice.
Number of servings: 4