Beetroot and almond salad.
In the lead up to Christmas it seems like every other day there is an excuse to indulge whether it be drinks with friends or tasty treats. Tonight I’m dining alone and not overly hungry so I’ve decided to make a simple and tasty beetroot salad.
If you’re looking for a more substantial meal then you could serve this salad with some barbecued meat for a healthy mid week meal.
- 3 large beetroot
- 4 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp macadamia oil (you can use olive oil instead)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp honey
- large handful each of mint and parsley
- Heat a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sliced almonds and toast until they are golden brown (be careful as they can burn quickly).
- Set aside the almonds and add the cumin seeds to the saucepan. Toast until the seeds become fragrant.
- Peel and grate the beetroot and place in a bowl.
- Mix together the macadamia oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the grated beetroot. Leave to sit for approximately 30 minutes – this will allow the beetroot to absorb the dressing flavours and become tender.
- Drain the excess dressing from the bowl to avoid the beetroot becoming too soggy.
- Roughly chop the mint and parsley and add to the bowl.
- Lastly, add the toasted almonds and cumin seeds and toss to combine.
Number of servings: 4
This recipe can be modified by changing the type of herbs used, adding some grated carrot or crumbling some feta cheese over it. Why don’t you give it a go and let me know how you made it your own?
Recipe adapted from Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall